9/14/08

Rule No. 1 - Never take a shortcut in London

Well, darn it all if I did not sleep the day away again, yesterday...luckily my hosts did too. However, while they were all up partying til all hours again, I was wandering around the city...lost. I did manage to go for a heck of a walk, though...the lesson learned? Never take a shortcut in London. It won't work.

All in all I had a good time, I'd say-- never managed to find a pub, because, by the time I got un-lost and made my way to Piccadilly Circus, the pubs had all shut down, and what cafes and discos were open were literally covered in attractive, stylish youths dressed in their finest, drinking and making tons of noise...I didn't quite fit in. One guy on the street pointed at me as I passed, in my down vest and hoody, and heavy black pants and said, ''What, is she from Alaska, or something?''

(...It made me shudder to be even a state's reference closer to Sarah Palin, thank you, though I know very well he was only talking about my clothes).

In any case, not my crowd. So eventually I made it back to the 'home' area...4 hours later...and proceeded to wander in circles for an hour, before I finally asked a rickshaw driver to point me in the right direction and found the house that was mine...

Yes, it would appear I am still directionally challenged, though perhaps that may be of use to me on this journey...eventually.

In any case, I had been meaning to get to be at around 12am or sooner, but as it happened, I did not crawl in bed til well after 3am, and then proceeded to stay awake until light was coming through the windows again. So, 4pm comes round and, oh, no, not again!

No comments: