9/9/08

New York, New York...

Despite all the turbulence - physical and otherwise - from our very long plane ride, the moment I stepped off, I felt...well, almost at ease. I was not, per say, smiling, but my fear of what would happen to me or being stuck in the rain or having my things stolen or murdered in a small alley left me. I felt a bit ridiculous, really.

JFK is just an airport. New York is just a city and every city has it's dangers. I had faith that I would be just fine. Actually, it's this sort of underlying knowledge that I will always be just fine that seems to keep me from really bad situations. Dogs smell fear. So do wasps. So do people. So be not afraid, and there is nothing to fear...sometimes.

In any case, after leaving the airport, I just kept asking more and more people where the streets were I was looking for and does the J train go to here or where does the Airtrain connect to the subway and eventually, I got where I needed to go.

My friend Wayne, who I had not seen since college in Seattle, was so welcoming. He and his roommates asked me about my plane ride and, while I took a shower, they made me some Ramen.

---Here I will interject myself. I have been trying to play catch-up (not the red kind) on this blog for some days now. San Francisco happened days ago, as did my arrival in NYC. But there seems to be so much to do and so little time to do it in, that re-counting every move I make is not working very well, nor, I think, wise. So, the gist of it is, I had an amazing time with Wayne and Jason and Brett and Andrew, all of whom I have not seen since my Seattle days. I eventually found my Uncle Stephen and Aunt Rebecca (my Godparents) and have had a wonderful time, and yesterday I was able to meet with the 'King of Backpackers,' Captain-pirate extraordinaire, Wade from vagabondsong.com. These major events aside, I am now forced to consolidate my NY adventures into the following list of points:



THINGS I LEARNED IN NEW YORK
1. Strawberries, brown sugar, and sour cream may be the best breakfast in the history of the world.

2. A Beard Papa is not an old immigrant man with white hair waiting for Christmas holidays to come so he can play Santa Claus, but rather a fresh cream puff that they fill with vanilla custard the moment you order it. And they are good.

3. No matter how many times you've asked, or how many people at the many branches of your bank have assured you that your debit card is on the way, it is not going to be there until you have canceled your old card. Your bank likes your money. Why would they want you to go around spending it, hmmm?

4. Fedex overnight really is overnight. Good job fedex. Thank you Michael.

5. I am now an official Princess of backpackers and rock-pirate of Central Park.

6. No matter how old you are, your Godparents will always treat you like a Princess.

7. My metal water bottle makes me feel safe at nigh walking down dark streets.

8. Never try to change a $50 bill in Brooklyn. It won't happen. Not even if you try to buy stuff.
9. If the word "exit" is printed anywhere on the sign for the subway line you want, you actually do have to exit. It will not change tracks just for you...hmmmm...

10. My metal water bottle can hold an entire bottle of wine or Cava and looks inconspicuous when walking through parks.

11. My metal water bottle keeps beer cold.

12. Don't let your friends put alcohol in your water bottle, unless you want to smell and taste it for days thereafter.

13. There is a bar in Brooklyn where, on Sundays, if you buy a drink, they will give you a poker chip, and you can eat for free at the BBQ in the back. They even have veggie burgers there. Yay for me!

14. You can survive on a very small budget here, if you are willing to eat fresh bagels and cream cheese (or tofu cream cheese) every day.

15. Hummus only costs $2.50 per container here-- wow! .....Crackers cost $5.00 a box...damn.
16. The Brooklyn bridge may be my new favorite place, ever, in the world. ...and I actually kind of like the subway...don't judge. (Not the tunnels, just the train).

17. Yes, the accents really do sound like that. It's not just the movies.

18. Yes, Hassidic Jewish men really do wear long black coats and large-brimmed hats, and have the curly-que hairs And abound in NYC. It's not just the movies. (And, apparently, the women shave their heads and wear amazingly convincing wigs instead).

19. Anywhere else in the USA is a muted and washed out version of some section of New York.
and last, but not least...

20. New Yorkers are some of the friendliest and most interesting people I have ever met. If you ask, they will help.

...I thought I would hate New York, it's smells, and loud noise, and dark tunnels and alley ways...but I think, one day, I may actually have to call it home. There is something so beautiful about this city, specifically because of all it is...However, tonight I leave for England...and a whole new adventure begins...

No comments: