9/14/08

Proms in the Park...

So, late starts being what they are, last night I went out for another walk, this time without quite the same intention of actually trying to get to a particular destination, in hopes that if I had no destination, I was less likely to get lost...

Donna had suggested I try the other direction (the direction I had accidentally sort of ended up in from the night before) and shoot for Hyde Park. I did. Wandering for a bit here and there, taking pictures, mostly of doors. I swear they are going to think I am a daft tourist, walking around taking picture after picture of entry ways and balconies, but I have fallen in love with London architecture...or, at least, its doors which seem to be an art form unto themselves.

Eventually, I wandered down a beautiful street, twisting and turning through the dark night, when all of a sudden it hit my ears: music... Opera flowed over me, and I was in heaven-- the perfect soundtrack to the perfect night...I had all but given up on Hyde park, and the beautiful voice was calling me so, that there was nothing to do for it but follow...I turned a corner, and-- lo and behold-- a stretch of green opened in front of me covered in trees and absolutely FILLED with music...Hyde Park.

Turned out the BBC was having the last night of what they called 'Proms in the Park' where all sorts of famous-- and not so famous-- musicians and singers and bands performed, both live and broadcast from all over Europe for us to hear, live on the screen. By the time I made my way up to the gate where a hundred people stood, watching and listening and camping from outside the fenced off concert, the diva had finished and they had moved on to an amazing gypsy violinist, someone by the name of, ''Garret...David Garret or...something'' according to the gentleman next to me. Next up were 3 songs performed right in front of us by the incomparable José Carreras! And on and on...amazing...

Eventually, I wandered off to hunt for the perfect British pub... I found it, although by the time I did they were all but closing again; I had myself a cider, which felt like it had no alcohol til you tried to stand up, and read a good 3 chapters of my book...the perfect evening...

.....So, now, finally, I am off to see the city (in daylight, for once). All government-owned British museums are free to the public, and rather than spending almost £20 for a tour bus, I am going to spend only £3.50 for the double decker bus all-day pass, and take the tour buses map with me to show myself around...we'll see how it goes this time around...

Until then,
~ Vieve

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds amazing! Thanks for sharing your link with me! I love all your updates, and I can't wait till you go to Ireland. You will LOVE Galway, Wicklow, and the Aran Islands!

Hugs!